Accessibility & assistance
For customers who do not have English as their first language or customers who are hearing impaired or mute, the Australian Government provides the following services:
- Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS): call 131 450
- National Relay Service (Speak and Listen): call 1300 555 727 then ask for 1800 362 361
- National Relay Service (TTY users): call 133 677 then ask for 1800 362 361
- Internet Relay users can make an online call then ask for 1800 362 361
- SMS Relay users can send an SMS to 0423 677 767 asking for 1800 362 361
TTY users - To report a fire or emergency
TTY 106 is a dedicated text-based emergency relay service with direct access to fire, police and ambulance services. You can only contact the service through a TTY machine, not from a mobile phone or ordinary phone.
If you don't speak English you can call 000 from a fixed line and ask for fire, police or ambulance services. Once connected you need to stay on the line and a translator will be organised.
We have bushfire information in several community languages.