SA Country Fire Service

MEDIA RELEASE


SA Country Fire Service Logo

<Message Starts>

End of Fire Danger Season

30/04/2014

The SA Country Fire Service (CFS) has ended the Fire Danger Season with restrictions in the five remaining fire ban districts of Adelaide Metropolitan, Lower South East, Mid North, Mount Lofty Ranges and Yorke Peninsula being lifted at midnight.

This fire danger season had been the busiest experienced and has kept hundreds of CFS volunteers constantly active, particularly during January and February.

14 January saw lighting spark over 260 rural fires across South Australia during what was a record heatwave, resulting in unprecedented demands for CFS firefighters.

By midnight on Friday 17 January the CFS had attended some 420 rural fires and 200 other incidents including road accidents and building fires not associated with bushfires.

CFS Chief Officer Greg Nettleton said CFS firefighters battled multiple high impact fires in rare weather conditions that the Bureau of Meteorology advised were similar to a one in a 100 year event.

"The state was heavily impacted by thunderstorms that ignited many fires, and our commitment to extinguishing fires stretched from Ceduna to the Victorian border," Mr Nettleton said.

"I thank each and every one of our volunteers for the fantastic work done, and for their dedication during what has been an exceptionally demanding fire danger season."

The Chief Officer says CFS volunteers devote many thousands of hours each year to ensure communities in the state remain safe, and they consistently display courage and a commitment to fighting fires and responding to other incidents.

"The efforts of our firefighters have been exemplary, with no lives lost and minimal losses experienced," Mr Nettleton said.

"The contribution this season of CFS volunteers and staff, famers and their fire units, government agencies and our interstate fire service colleagues has been nothing short of extraordinary".

However, as the CFS is more than a bushfire service this commitment will continue beyond the fire danger season.

"We have more than 13,500 volunteers trained to respond to other emergencies such as structure fires, motor vehicle crashes, hazardous material spills and extreme weather incidents," Mr Nettleton said.

"I extend my gratitude to these men and women who are at the frontline of emergency responses day and night, 24/7 and I thank them for a job well done".

<Message Ends>

Please do not reply to this email - this mailbox is not checked regularly.

For media enquiries telephone the CFS Media Line on (08) 8115 3531.

Further information:
Contact the Bushfire Information Hotline on 1800 362 361, for hearing or speech impaired users, phone 1300 555 727 then ask for 1800 362 361 or teletype service TTY 133 677 then ask for 1800 362 361.
Other options are available at National Relay Service.
Or visit www.cfs.sa.gov.au

Check out our Facebook and share our messages

You received this email because at some point in the past you signed up to our mailing list. To unsubscribe from the CFS-SUBSCRIBERS list, click the following link:
http://cfslist.sa.gov.au/scripts/wa-CFSLIST.exe?SUBED1=CFS-SUBSCRIBERS&A=1.

www.cfs.sa.gov.au

CFS Taxi stripe graphic Government of South Australia