Managed Fire Alarm Service
The SA Metropolitan Fire Service (MFS), SA Country Fire Service (CFS) and Telstra have worked together to develop a solution that provides a monitored fire alarm service to certain buildings across South Australia.
The Managed Fire Alarm Service (MFAS) allows clients to connect their premises fire alarm to the CFS monitoring centre. MFAS is a managed service comprised of the following elements:
- supply, configuration and ongoing support of an Alarm Signalling Equipment (ASE) Device by Telstra, eliminating the need for clients to purchase a new ASE or be responsible for future upgrades
- maintenance and support of the equipment (some exclusions may apply)
- supply and setup by Telstra of secure communications between the alarm and the SA Fire Services to enable monitoring
- dual network services providing redundant connectivity via two separate mobile networks
- monthly bill from Telstra to the end users for the rental of equipment.
To be eligible for the service you must:
- have a Fire Indicator Panel (FIP) or Fire Sprinkler System installed at your site before we can install the equipment
- be approved by the CFS.
- Telstra MFAS
- CFS Monitoring
- Faults with alarms (eg communication failures) 1800 532 005 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Application form
As you may have heard the 3G network will soon become redundant. Telstra, MFS and the CFS identified this issue early and created a solution that will provide coverage for 4G and 5G, now and in the future.
A deed of variation was signed in December 2020, enabling an upgrade to the current ASE's, and extending MFAS for a further five years. By acting early, the next generation ASE can be installed and functioning well before 3G end of life. It also provides the opportunity to maximise the life of the new ASE.
MFAS version 2.0 will still use dual mobile carriers and there will be no transition cost associated with this process if the installation is performed during the transition period.
What happens now?
Telstra will provide further information with your next MFAS bill, including details about completing an electronic MFAS Transition form. Once this form is submitted, Telstra will then arrange a date for installation of the new ASE device.
The MFAS is a further development of the previous fire alarm monitoring solution that has been developed by Telstra in consultation with the CFS and MFS.
It has been developed to address the decommissioning of the copper telephone lines associated with the roll-out of the optical fibre based National Broadband Network (NBN).
The MFAS incorporates technology that utilises the mobile networks of two separate carriers to offer diverse pathways for alarm monitoring. This alleviates the reliance on copper services scheduled to be removed as part of the NBN rollout and in which minimises the reliance on NBN services.
In a small number of areas where dual mobile network coverage may not be available, a dual monitoring path may be engineered using one mobile network, and an alternative NBN fibre or wireless connection.