FDS extended in three CFS Fire Ban Districts
The Country Fire Service (CFS) has extended this year's Fire Danger Season (FDS) in the West Coast, Eastern Eyre Peninsula and Lower Eyre Peninsula until April 30.
The decision to extend the date for these three Fire Ban Districts follows advice provided by the Lower Eyre Peninsula and the Upper Eyre Peninsula Bushfire Management Committees.
CFS Prevention Services Manager Leigh Miller said the Eyre Peninsula has experienced what the Bureau of Meteorology describes as a 'serious to severe deficiency' in rainfall in the last six months, resulting in soil dryness well above average across the region.
"These conditions indicate that the FDS is far from over and as a consequence, the CFS Chief Officer Greg Nettleton has extended the date for these Fire Ban Districts," Mr Miller said.
"The Bushfire Management Committees also expressed concern about the number of agricultural burns that the CFS has responded to after the end of the FDS each year, once fire restrictions have been lifted."
Last year, the CFS responded to 25 burn-offs that went out of control between 15 April and 31 May, 2012.
"The extension of the FDS for these three Fire Ban Districts will ensure that fire restrictions remain in place until conditions are likely to become safer for burning," Mr Miller said.
Anyone who is considering burning on their property during the FDS when restrictions still apply, can apply for a permit from their local council.
"Landowners are also advised that if they are planning a burn-off after the end of the Fire Danger Season that they should still follow the Safe Practices outlined in the CFS Fact Sheet tiled - Burning Off - on the CFS website," Mr Miller said.
The fact sheet and more information on the Fire Danger Season dates is available from the CFS website at www.cfs.sa.gov.au.