SA Country Fire Service



Beware of fireworks restrictions on NYE


Tuesday, 31 December 2013


The Country Fire Service (CFS) and Metropolitan Fire Service (MFS) are advising South Australians to consider the state's firefighters during their New Year's Eve celebrations.


CFS State Coordinator Mark Thomason said people should take extra care with any outdoor activities that could cause fires including camp fires, barbeques and equipment that could emit sparks such as angle grinders.


"All it takes is a spark or an ember in hot and windy conditions to start a fire that could potentially cause a devastating fire, unless precautions are taken to prevent this from happening," Mr Thomason said.


Fireworks are also a major concern to both fire agencies with their use restricted only to licenced pyrotechnics with a Schedule 9 or 10 permit issued by a local council for a specific event.


MFS Assistant Chief Fire Officer Glenn Benham said that the unlicensed use of any fireworks is illegal.


"Anyone using illegal fireworks are putting their community and firefighters who respond to the fires caused by them, at risk," Mr Benham said.


"Fireworks that are not properly controlled or managed under the current permit system can result in fires being easily ignited."


On Total Fire Ban days solid fuel barbeques including Weber-style and camp fires are also banned unless a Schedule 10 permit can be obtained from a local council.


"I urge all South Australians to consider their personal safety and ultimately help the MFS and CFS to reduce the risk of fires as we welcome the New Year," Mr Benham said.


For more information on Fire Bans and Current Incidents and Fire Restrictions under the heading "What Can I Do/What Can't I Do", visit the CFS website at or phone the Bushfire Information Hotline on 1300 362 361.

Please do not reply to this email - you will not receive a response.

For media enquiries call the CFS Media Line on 08 8115 3531.

Further information
Information Hotline: 1800 362 361.
Hearing or speech impaired users phone: 1300 555 727 then ask for 1800 362 361.
Teletype service: TTY 133 677 then ask for 1800 362 361. More options are available at National Relay Service or

You received this email because you subscribed to our list. You can unsubscribe at any time.

 Government of South Australia