Reduced Threat issued for Coomunga fire
The Country Fire Service (CFS) has scaled down its warning messages for the Coomunga fire near Port Lincoln by issuing an Advice Message and now notifying of a "reduced threat".
CFS Incident Controller Rob Ellis said that this will bring some comfort to nearby residents which saw the Coomunga fire come as close as five kilometres towards Port Lincoln since it began burning last Tuesday.
"The "reduced threat" follows this morning's announcement that the fire had been controlled which will be a source of relief to nearby residents who have been on alert since this fire began last week," Mr Ellis said.
The threat to people's safety in the vicinity of the fire has reduced however the CFS advises that they should be aware that some risks are still present.
"Smoke may still be present, visibility may be reduced and there may be falling trees," Mr Ellis said.
"People who live in the vicinity of the Coomunga fire near Mungerowie Scrub and Duck Pond Drive, west of Port Lincoln should check their property for any fires and embers - particularly in roof spaces, under decks, raised floors and in gutters," he said.
A combination of CFS firefighters' efforts, a continuous succession of fixed winged-aircraft culminating in more than 350,000 litres of water drops and a change of wind direction prevented the potential for significant property losses in the region.
The Coomunga fire burnt just over 2,300 hectares of scrub and grassland but resulted in no major injuries or property damage despite the fire having directly threatened eight homes.
Although the fire has also been declared "controlled", about 50 CFS firefighters will continue to monitor the area and extinguish any spot fires.
The Coomunga fire has now been determined to have been caused by lightning.
For more information about other incidents visit the CFS website at www.cfs.sa.gov.au or contact the CFS Bushfire Information Hotline on 1300 362 361.