The SA Country Fire Service (CFS) which is also referred to as the "Fire Authority" is a volunteer based fire and emergency service dedicated to protecting life, property and the environmental in both regional rural and urban interface areas covering more than 90% of the geographic area of South Australia.
With approximately 13,500 volunteers and 110 staff, CFS provides a range of fire and emergency services to more than 434 communities across South Australia. One of these services found within the Development Assessment Service deals with built environment matters.
The Development Assessment team is made up of two sections, Residential and Commercial. The Residential team is concerned with the siting and construction of a dwelling. Enquiries can be made on 08 8391 6077. The Commercial team has responsibilities for Class 2 to 9 type buildings that generally have a floor area are greater than 500m2.
The Commercial team consists of 2 Fire Safety Officers whose role is to work in accordance with the Development Act 1993 with special focus on the referral process required under Development Regulations 28(3) and 83(4) in regards to fire safety systems. The Officers also conduct inspections of hospitals and aged care facilities for fire and life safety matters and represents the Fire Authority as a member of Building Fire Safety Committees for 40 local councils.
The flow chart below is aimed to assist you through with the referral process.
Please contact the Development Assessment Service on 08 8391 6077 or on firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
Fire Services Guidelines
Other informative information
- Farm Buildings in South Australia, DPTI Fact Sheet
- Minister's Specification SA H3.2 "Concessions for farm buildings, 2015 edition"
- Minister's Specification SA 76 "Maintenance and testing of Safety installations. Schedule of essential Safety Provisions"
- Minister's Specification 76A "Fire Safety Requirements in Caravan Park and Residential Parks"
- Minister's Specification SA H2.2 "Construction of Bulk Grain Storage Facilities"
- Minister's Specification SA 78 "Additional requirements in designated bushfire prone areas"
- Advisory Notice 06/13 "Technical – SA H3.2 – Farm buildings including Chicken Sheds classification clarification"
- Australian Standards
- National Construction Code (formally the Building Code of Australia)