Permit Information :: CFS

Permit Information

Sections 79 and 80 of the Fire and Emergency Services Act, 2005 and Regulations 33 - 46, permit the use of specified types of fires and activities. They include fires used for cooking and personal comfort, gas fired appliances for cooking purposes or electric welding equipment and gas fires used for other purposes, provided they are lit in accordance with the conditions that apply to their use.   See "What can I do/What can't I do?" for more information.

All Other Fire Require a Permit:

There are two types of permits that can be issued by an Authorised Officer:

Ninth Schedule Permit

Ninth Schedule permits may be issued for fires or activities on days during the Fire Danger Season that are not Total Fire Ban days.

Tenth Schedule Permit

Tenth Schedule permits may be issued for fires or activities on days that are Total Fire Bans.

Applying for a Permit:

Contact your Council to find your nearest Authorised Officer.

You can apply to an Authorised Officer for permit either personally, by mail, email, over the telephone or via radio. The Authorised Officer will assess your permit application prior to issuing a Permit

The Authorised Officer is required to assess the permit application to ensure that:

  • he/she is satisfied that the lighting and maintaining of the fire is, in all circumstances of the case, justified; and
  • that adequate precautions will be taken to prevent the spread of fire.

Once satisfied the Authorised Officer will issue you a permit and inform you of a permit number and will subsequently send you a copy of the permit. The conditions that must be complied with are included in the permit.


The conditions under which the permit is issued must be complied with. In particular the holder of the permit must notify the persons listed on the permit not less than 2 hours before the fire is lit or the intention to light up. Normally notification would be to:

  • all adjoining neighbours.
  • an officer of the local council.
  • the person in charge of any nearby government reserve and,
  • the local CFS Brigade.

However this may vary from area to area depending on the time of the year and seasonal conditions. Full details will be provided on the permit by the Authorised Officer of the Council.

Should you require further information contact your local council.

Return To Top